Sunday, June 21, 2009

Days 3,4,and 5(I think)

Time as escaped me. So at the moment what day it is is questionable. Asking someone is the obvious way to find out, but that takes the fun out of tour. Losing track of the day and time are especially enjoyable for me. However the last 2 days have been more stressful and less enjoyable that I would have liked them to be.

Our show in Poland was unreal. It's still questionable if it even happened. So many kids were singling along and going crazy. Of all the shows I've played it was the most heartwarming. A girl was crying as we played.

We later walked the streets before laying out heads back at the hostel.

____________________________________________
Prague.
Not too much happening here because getting 20 people together to make a move to do any one thing is near impossible. We arrived at the venue about 2hrs late due to several mishaps:
*The buses we were supposed to get for this tour were replaced last minute by dumpy vans.
*These vans sit everyone but only by squeezing four persons to a bench seat.
*While the person responsible accounted for the number of people traveling, they did not account for the gear/personal items that also needed to come along.
*It took our tour manager and drivers an extra 2hrs to realize and obtain a trailer for said gear and personal items.

The venue was located on a local college campus. It was a small bar, nothing special. About 100 kids came out and once again, they really made me feel good about being here and doing what I'm doing.
Seeing that the show ran late, and that we had to be on the plane at 1oam for Athens no sightseeing took place. We simply went back to our hostel and stayed up way too late.
_____________________________
Athens, Greece.
In the three days we have been in Europe I have not had to:
*Ask for a place to sleep
*Open my wallet for money
*Get food
*Drive

We got flown to Athens Greece to play one show. We arrived early enough to see the following:

The day was truly breathtaking. Not to mention Jon, who did the show, really took good care of us. Athens is beyond words. One day I will return here as I was that moved by this city.
The promoter lost a lot of money on bringing us here and was unable to pay the guarantee. While I was totally fine walking away with not money from the door(because we were FLOWN IN), others were not. The promoter was forced to pay something out of pocket. This really put a damper on the night, and that damper found its way into Brno.
___________________________________________________
Brno, Czech Republic.
Time shifted too much for me in too short a period. Going from Prague to Athens saw a 4hour time difference. Then time shifted again going back to Prague. So much time on airplanes really killed me as we had to transfer in Budapest before getting back to Prague.

This show went down hill for the following reasons(in my opinion):
*The club wired their PA system into the same electrical circuit the bands were to plug their gear into. So all of our equipment cut off during 3 of the 4 songs we played. I really feel bad for the people who came to see us.
*Matts sister was supposed to meet up with us here and travel with us for a few days. This was not a problem until she showed and there was not only no room for her, but our driver/tour manager refused to squeeze her in with us. She had to re-work her entire summer schedule overnight. I can't help but feel that I could have done something to prevent this, as in I should have seen this coming. But I put too much faith in people to make sure they will do their job well.
*The tour money was stolen/lost somewhere in the cource of the night. No one knew where it was in the first place, and no one knows where it went off to.

So all in all the last 30hrs have been a large bummer. However we are not in budapest and everyones spirits seem to be in better places. Tonights venue is spectacular. I will take and post pictures later. I'm super excited to be here.

Oh,,,and I really miss my dogs.

1 comment:

  1. hey Mike, thanks again for the shows, all three of them I saw (Wroclaw, Prague and Brno) was amazing. too bad what happened in Brno, but it was not your fault and the responses from people were great, everyone was amazed after each of the shows. thanks for letting me sing in Wroclaw and Prague too, selling me your albums and touring the Europe. your shows were three of the best I ever attended.

    ReplyDelete