Being on a stage is like being trapped on one side of cliff. No way to get to the other side.
I really derive my energy from being close to the audience. When I can't be down with them, when I have to room to move, I have no room to breath, and little passion for what I'm doing. Yes. All from a stupid stage. I'd rather be down on the floor.
With that little rant out of the way, let me say that the Tombs, Junius, Irepress, and Rosetta show in NYC was one of the most fun and enjoyable nights I've had in a long time.
Here's a little blurb Brooklyn Vegan did about the show:
Link
Even though I think we were nervous about the new material, we played technically well(For once I could hear my voice...always a plus for me). However, due to the freshness of the new songs out energy level was low, and with little room to move on the stage, it felt a little weird for me.
The turnout was fantastic. Even before we played the room was nearly maxed out...or at least it looked that way. This show was also the first time I've ever seen an audience pressure an opening act(Rosetta in this case) to play an encore. I truly thought that would have been impossible in the state.
Irepress was impressive, and it's been nice to see them evolve over the last two years. They really have a tight sound mapped out now. Irepress also pulled off a sweet 90s style singalong that really was nostalgic. Whats so awesome about this is that Irepress is an instrumental band. It got me excited.
Junius is one of my favorite bands at the moment, and it really was a treat to see them play in a good sounding space. Their new LP is fantastic and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for something new.
Tombs played some new material that blew me away. It was very heavy, and a little more angular than their last full length. I'm excited to hear it once it's recorded.
Our friend Luke from Burning Wheel has been letting us crash at his place the last 3 weekends while we record. Once again he provided us a haven for the night by allowing us to crash on his floor. It's always nice to get breakfast in Queens with him.
Travel conditions did not allow for us to get to upstate NY and play with Achillies.This was a bummer for me because I really like that band and have been wanting to play with them for sometime. But it was nice to get home early. Admittedly I'm overly exhausted and looking forward to my Christmas Vacation. Recording on top of school, on top of Grad classes, on top of shows really has taken it's toll on me again. Some much needed R&R is on the horizon.
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment